Bachelor of Psychology
Take the first step to becoming a psychologist
Fill in your details below and a friendly SACAP team member will contact you
Study a Bachelor of Psychology in 2021
SACAP’s Bachelor of Psychology is an honours-equivalent professional qualification that leads to registration with the Health Professions Council of South Africa (HPCSA) as a Registered Counsellor.
This four-year degree will empower you with theoretical knowledge and practical counselling and communication skills to provide short-term supportive counselling, psycho-education and psychological assessment in order to protect and promote psychological wellbeing in individuals and families in diverse community settings.
It also provides a thorough grounding in the knowledge, theory and principles of the profession of psychology and seeks to build high intellectual independence and research capacity in the methodology and techniques of psychology.
Successful BPsych graduates are well-positioned for admission into professional or academic masters in psychology and cognate fields locally and internationally.
Course on offer
Our Bachelor of Psychology Degree gives you the knowledge and essential practical skills for providing good quality psychological care to people at a primary mental health care level.
A professional qualification that leads to registration with the Health Professions Council of South Africa (HPCSA) as a Registered Counsellor.
- Study Options: Only available on campus (Cape Town and Johannesburg)
- Duration: 4 years, full-time only
- Accreditation: NQF 8, CHE, SAQA and HPCSA accredited
- Applications close: 15 February 2021
- A National Senior Certificate or National Certificate (Vocational) with an achievement rating of 4 (Adequate Achievement 50-59%) or better in 6 designated subjects including Mathematics/Mathematical Literacy and English, OR
- Senior Certificate (Pre- 2008) with Endorsement, with English and Mathematics/Maths Literacy passed at Standard Grade or better, or an equivalent school-leaving certificate, OR
- A Higher Certificate (NQF level 5), a SAQA verified equivalent qualification, Advanced Certificate, or Diploma in a cognate field, OR
- Applicants 24 years of age and older who do not meet the above requirements should provide a portfolio of evidence demonstrating formal, informal, and non-formal knowledge, training, work experience, and/or learning equivalent to an NQF level 5 qualification to support admission into the programme on the basis of Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL).
Intake and Selection Process
- SACAP has a limited intake of 20 students per campus per year into this programme.
- Acceptance is subject to a stringent selection process that includes, inter alia: applicants meeting the minimum entrance requirements, completion of application forms, assessment of academic and non-academic aptitudes and competencies, interview with a panel and final selection interviews.
Apply for 2021 today. Space is limited