Study a Diploma in Counselling and Communication Skills
Fill in your details below and a friendly SACAP team member will contact you
Start your studies on our established online campus and then migrate them to your physical campus later
The world is changing and so are we. SACAP has put measures in place so that you can start your Term 2 studies online and then migrate them to your campus later. The class size stays small, we help lighten your data load, and your educator will lead you through the material. You also get face-to-face support from the student services teams every step of the way. Don’t feel alone. Feel empowered!
Diploma in Counselling and Communication Skills
SACAP’s diploma is a comprehensive vocational qualification, has a strong emphasis on counselling and communication skills and is designed to deepen your knowledge in specific areas of your choice.
Our Diploma is a well-rounded offering that balances knowledge with practical skills and experience. It’s a comprehensive, two-year, vocational qualification that deepens your knowledge and insight in counselling, communication, psychology, human behaviour and community-based mental health.
In addition to a focus on applied counselling and communication skills for application in a variety of environments, the curriculum also develops deeper knowledge in specific areas of your choice.
You will be eligible for admission into SACAP’s Bachelor of Applied Social Science Degree with the potential for credit transfer for a selection of modules within the first year of that programme.
Course on offer
Benefits at a glance
- Want an accredited qualification that is nationally benchmarked and internationally comparable.
- Want a career in counselling and/or communication and are looking for a comprehensive qualification that combines knowledge with applied skills.
- Want to develop deeper knowledge and skills in specific areas through the selection of elective modules, such as addiction counselling, counselling in loss, working with children and adolescents, sport psychology, family work and relationships, and/or gender, sexuality and HIV counselling.
- Want to gain practical Work Integrated Learning experience to increase your confidence in the community.
- Want a reputable higher education qualification in counselling and communication without the stringencies and time commitment of a long-term degree programme.
Study Options: On campus (Cape Town, Durban, Johannesburg & Pretoria) and Online
Duration: 2 years full-time, 3 years part-time
Modules: 18 modules
Accreditation: NQF 6, CHE accredited, professionally endorsed by the SAQA recognised ASCHP (Registered Professional Body SAQA ID: 984)
Faculty: Applied Psychology
- A National Senior Certificate or National Certificate (Vocational) with a minimum of 45% in English coupled with an achievement rating of 3 (Moderate Achievement, 40-49%) or better in four designated subjects (including Life Orientation), or equivalent school-leaving qualification, OR
- A Senior Certificate (pre-2008) with a minimum overall D-aggregate (50%) with English passed at Standard Grade or better, or an equivalent school-leaving certificate, OR
- A Higher Certificate (NQF level 5), a SAQA verified equivalent qualification, or Advanced Certificate in a cognate field, OR
- Applicants 24 years of age and older who do not meet the above requirements should provide a portfolio of evidence demonstrating formal, informal, and non-formal knowledge, training, work experience, and/or learning equivalent to a National Senior Certificate (NQF level 4) to support admission into the programme on the basis of Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL).