Post Graduate Certificate In Education
in Senior and Further Education and Training Teaching
Fill in your details below and a friendly SACAP team member will contact you
This speciallised programme is an excellent way to convert your undergraduate degree into a potential career.
Study our Post Graduate Certificate In Education in Senior and Further Education and Training Teaching and gain core subject knowledge and teaching skills in Life Orientation and one of the electives, either English or Geography.
Our vocational qualification takes things one step further and includes the learning support specialisation of Guidance Counselling and Specialised Learning Support. This means that you will be able to mediate and facilitate teaching and learning practices effectively, promote inclusivity and build critical and innovative thinking skills. Ultimately making a positive impact on the South African educational landscape.
As a graduate, you will be eligible for registration with the South African Council for Educators [SACE] and for potential employment as an entry-level teacher specialising in Life Orientation and either English or Geography. With the learning support specialisation of Guidance, Counselling and Specialised Learning Support you will be able to serve as a lay counsellor and support learners with learning challenges.
Course On Offer
Why take this course
- Is accredited by the Council on Higher Education (CHE) and registered on the National Qualifications Framework (NQF) by the South African Qualifications Authority (SAQA).
- Is an NQF exit level 7 qualification.
- Is a professional vocational programme that is approved and recognised by the Department of Higher Education and Training (DHET) as an initial teaching qualification for employment in education that affords successful graduates with one additional Relative Education Qualification Value (REQV) level as well as professionally qualified teacher status.
- Is designed to complement academic undergraduate qualifications such as a Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Social Sciences degree.
- In combination with the student’s undergraduate degree, places the respective student on par with the Bachelor of Education degree.
- Has a mandatory subject specialisation of Life Orientation that seeks to promote values-driven education that builds strength of character in the youth and thereby contribute towards the vision of an empowered society.
- Includes a compulsory Learning Support Specialisation of Guidance Counselling and Specialised Learning Support that aims to ensure that successful graduates are equipped with the skills for lay counselling as well as an understanding of common learning barriers so that the necessary support may be provided for learners in need. This implicitly extends the role function of the educator across all grades and classes and is vitally important given that learners are children and as such must often cope with various vulnerabilities.
- Includes the subject specialisation electives of either English Home Language or Geography. The subject specialisation of English highlights language as the vehicle for effective communication and building of social cohesion while the subject specialisation of Geography accentuates the need for an understanding of the impact of mankind on the environment. These learning areas have been identified by the Department of Basic Education as priority learning areas for teacher training.
Please Note that this is a postgraduate qualification which means you will need to have a minimum of a bachelor’s degree, or an equivalent qualification.
Did You Know?
SACAP is fully accredited by the British Accreditation Council (BAC) as an Independent Higher Education Institution
The BAC accreditation is a globally recognised hallmark of quality assurance, and achieving this accreditation demonstrates that we have met the high standards set by the BAC. This accreditation is validation of our commitment to excellence and our mission to provide our students with a world-class education that prepares them for success in their future careers.
Our students can be assured that their education provider has met a gold standard. To maintain BAC accreditation SACAP needs to continue to meet BAC’s standards. BAC ensure that colleges, universities and training providers provide high quality education and a great learning experience for students.
Admission of students to a Postgraduate Certificate in Education in Senior and Further Education and Training Teaching (NQF 7)
Acceptance into this qualification is subject to a selection process that includes meeting the minimum entrance requirements and completing the relevant application forms.
Subject Specialisation of Life Orientation:
- Minimum Requirement: Psychology at least at second-year level
- Alternatively, Psychology at first-year level and one of the following at second-year level: Sociology, Philosophy, Political Science, Human Movement Sciences, Labour Studies and Industrial Studies.
Subject Specialisation of English:
- Minimum Requirement: English at least at second-year level
- Alternatively, English at first-year level and one of the following at second-year level: Applied English Language Studies, African Literature, Linguistics, Literary Theory and Communication, and/or Media Studies.
Subject Specialisation of Geography:
- Minimum Requirement: Geography at least at second-year level
- Undergraduate qualifications that do not meet the minimum requirements will need to be considered in its entirety to decide on its appropriateness for entry into a Postgraduate Certificate in Education. The extent to which academic content, embedded in the degree or diploma related to a particular subject, is sufficient to teach that subject at a particular level in schools will need to be determined.
- Applicants 24 years of age and older who do not meet the above requirements should provide a portfolio of evidence demonstrating formal, informal, and non-formal knowledge, training, work experience, and/or learning in a cognate field of study equivalent to an NQF level 7 qualification to support admission into the programme on the basis of Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL).
Students who do not have conversational competence in at least one of South Africa’s official languages over and above English and Afrikaans, will be required to complete a conversational language competency certificate in isiXhosa (Cape Town Campus) or isiZulu (Johannesburg Campus) before completing this qualification. This is offered online and is free to students.