Postgraduate Certificate in Education in Senior and Further Education and Training Teaching
Fill in your details below and a friendly SACAP team member will contact you
SACAP’s Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCE) is a fully accredited teaching qualification specialising in Life Orientation, Guidance Counselling and Specialised Learner Support.
As a graduate, you will be equipped to teach in varying school contexts and ensure that learners of all socio-economic backgrounds receive a quality education.
You will also be a sought-after specialist in government departments, NPOs and divisions within the corporate sector that focus on human capital development. You will be well placed to pursue prospects to progress within school management teams, become a Curriculum Specialist, or a School Liaison Officer at tertiary institutions.
Please Note that this is a postgraduate qualification which means you will need to have a minimum of a bachelor’s degree, or an equivalent qualification, with a Psychology major at NQF Level 7. (See further down full admissions requirements)
Course on offer
At a Glance
- Enhance your academic qualification with a distinct vocational programme.
- Build on your existing teaching skills and change your subject specialisation to Life Orientation.
- Become a teacher and help address the severe shortage of psychosocial support in South African schools.
- Develop skills that equip you to provide learning support, facilitate Social Emotional Learning (SEL) and offer transformative counselling to learners.
- Drive change by offering Life Orientation, Guidance Counselling and Learning Support to younger generations in diverse school contexts.
- Qualify to register with the South African Council of Educators (SACE),
Study options: On campus (Cape Town and Johannesburg)
Duration: 1-year, full-time
- NQF 7 Accredited
- Accredited by the Council on Higher Education (CHE)
- Qualification registered by South African Qualifications Authority (SAQA)
- SACAP is a registered Private Higher Education Institution with the Department of Higher Education and Training (DHET)
- A minimum of a bachelor’s degree, or an equivalent qualification, with a Psychology major at NQF Level 7.
- Applicants must have achieved a grade point average (GPA) of 60% and/or above in all psychology subjects undertaken in the final year (exit level) of study.
- Given that Life Orientation is an interdisciplinary subject that draws on, and integrates knowledge values, skills and processes embedded in various disciplines, such as Sociology, Philosophy, Psychology, Political Science, Human Movement Sciences, Labour Studies and Industrial Studies, it is recommended that the prospective student has taken a combination of at least two of these fields in their undergraduate degree or equivalent qualification.
- Note: All applicants for this programme are required to undergo a paper-based screening
- SACAP may approach the DHET for support to evaluate qualifications for entry into the PGCE
- You will be eligible for registration as a teacher with SACE (South African Council of Educators), which is a prerequisite for employment in the education sector of South Africa.
- As a graduate, you will be equipped to teach in varying school contexts. Given the fast pace and social pressures of contemporary society, schools are increasingly acknowledging the need for specialist Life Orientation educators to help prepare learners psycho-socially to deal with life’s varied challenges.
- You will be a sought-after Life Orientation specialist with expert knowledge in Guidance, Counselling and Specialised Learner Support in a range of public and private schools as well as technical, vocational and educational training colleges.
- As a specialist in social emotional learning and development, you will also be an ideal candidate for NGOs (Non-Governmental Organisations) working within the education sector or with children in general.
- Given the nature of Life Orientation as a fundamental subject focusing on social emotional learning and development, you will be adept in human relations skills and inherently play a leadership role within the school, which will indirectly pave the way toward leadership positions within the school management team.
- As a trained Life Orientation educator, you will be eligible for senior positions in your subject specialisation at a district, provincial and national level, as well as in directorates within the education department such as Safer Schools, Learner Behaviour Management and Values Driven Education.
- Having been exposed to the fundamentals of project management in both theory and practice, you will be eligible to work in any directorate within any government department that has projects or programmes that focus on the physical, social and emotional well-being of children.
- Major entities within the corporate sector are increasingly directing their Corporate Social Investments (CSI) towards youth development projects and with a qualification such as Life Orientation which focuses on the development of the youth you are ideally positioned to lead in such ventures.
- Support to succeed. Our interactive learning environment and small classes (averaging 15 – 25 students) mean you work closely with your educators and classmates and thereby get a deep understanding of subject material.
- Knowledge beyond the textbook. Our educators share a wealth of experience and knowledge that goes far beyond just the textbook, giving you a real feel and insight into your chosen field.
- “Real-world” experience. SACAP’s Work Integrated Learning is where your training comes to life. Most of our qualifications include on-site practical experience. Carried out under supervision, this is often a time when you learn about yourself as much as you do your subject.
- Accreditations. We’ve been around since 1997. We are registered with the Council of Higher Education (CHE) and the Department of Higher Education and Training (DHET) as a private higher education institution. We are also registered with the South African Qualifications Authority (SAQA) on the National Qualifications Framework (NQF).