Bachelor of Applied Social Science (Majoring in Psychology and Business Management)
next intakeTerm 2
Applications Open6 March 2023
Applications Close31 May 2023
duration3 years full-time, 5 years part-time online
accreditationNQF 7, CHE accredited
Why take this course
This comprehensive qualification, with dual majors in Psychology and Business Management, will equip you to understand the interrelation between the external business landscape and the psychosocial factors within organisations.
This is particularly important given that building sustainable business expertise is complemented by sound insight into how to responsibly manage people at an individual, team and systemic level.
Successful graduates will be equipped for employment in a management role within an organisation, as an entrepreneur or admission into an honours degree or postgraduate studies in psychology, the social sciences or business management or related fields both locally and internationally.
Throughout the qualification, you’ll develop critical thinking skills and gain a depth of understanding into:
- Business management, strategic project management and operating processes.
- Solution-focussed innovation and entrepreneurship in the South African business landscape.
- Digitisation, information systems and the use of information technology to optimise new business opportunities.
- Economics, accounting, business finance and business markets.
- Psychology, mental wellbeing and people in a social context, including personality and developmental paradigms for understanding individual and group behaviour.
- Business law, corporate governance, business ethics, social responsibility and value-driven sustainability.
- Diversity and cross-cultural dynamics in the African context.
You’ll also develop:
- Interpersonal and teamwork skills such as communication and collaboration.
- Individual, group and team problem-solving and decision-making skills.
- Skills to draw up and implement a business plan.
- Basic practical project management and entrepreneurial experience via Work Integrated Learning.
- Skills to conceptualise, plan, analyse and apply research in a business context.
- Skills to use Excel® to translate quantitative and qualitative data into information.
- Data management and application skills needed for differing business needs.
Specialise in psychology and business management.
A powerful blend of key business and people management skills.
Develop critical thinking, imagination and an entrepreneurial spirit
Who is this course for?
- Want to experience a person-centred education philosophy that refines the functional, emotional and practical skills that are essential for 21st-century business management
- Have an interest in the management of people and various business functions in an organisational context.
- Want a qualification that offers holistic theoretical and methodological understanding in both psychology, business practices related to finance, ethics, governance, digitisation, and sustainable socioeconomic development.
- Want to underpin your studies in business management with a second major in psychology.
- Want to gain practical work integrated learning experience as part of your studies to boost expertise and confidence in business management.
- Want an accredited qualification that is nationally benchmarked and internationally comparable.
You will be able to kick-start your career as a business professional or entrepreneur. This means that you can:
- Establish a professional brand by applying the knowledge and skills learned during your studies to add value as an employee in an organisation or as a business entrepreneur.
- Apply creativity, resourcefulness and knowledge of technology and business trends to drive innovation in your area of responsibility as an employee or as an entrepreneur.
- Use your practical skills, evidence-based reasoning and sound interpersonal skills in a range of environments with diverse individuals, groups, and teams.
- Be confident in having acquired the foundation competencies in business management, and with the necessary work experience, you can develop a career path to senior-level management or successful entrepreneurship.
Where can I study this degree?
You can study this degree at our Cape Town, Durban, Johannesburg and Pretoria campuses – or on our well-established Online Campus.
Core psychology module
- Academic Literacy (NQF 5, 12 credits)
- Introduction to Psychology A (NQF 5, 12 credits)
- Introduction to Psychology B (NQF 5, 12 credits)
- Counselling Modalities 1 (NQF 5, 14 credits)
- Counselling Modalities 2 (NQF 5, 14 credits)
- Diversity in the South African Context (NQF 5, 14 credits)
- Developmental Psychology A (NQF 5, 14 credits)
- Developmental Psychology B (NQF 6, 14 credits)
- Statistics for the Social Sciences (NQF 6, 14 credits)
- Community Psychology (NQF 6, 14 credits)
- Social Psychology (NQF 6, 14 credits)
- Theories of Personality (NQF 7, 14 credits)
- Psychopathology (NQF 7, 14 credits)
- Applied Research Methodology (NQF 7, 14 credits)
- Research Report (NQF 7, 20 credits)
Download our Psychology major module descriptors here
Business management module
- Business Management Philosophy and Concepts (NQF 5, 14 credits)
- Microeconomics and Macroeconomics in Business Management (NQF 5, 14 credits)
- Accounting and Finance Fundamentals in Business Management (NQF 6, 14 credits)
- Information Systems, Digitalisation and e-Business (NQF 6, 14 credits)
- Corporate Governance, Ethics and Citizenship in Business Management (NQF 6, 14 credits)
- Entrepreneurship and Business Innovation (NQF 6, 14 credits)
- Human Resource Management Fundamentals (NQF 6, 14 credits)
- Marketing (NQF 7, 14 credits)
- Financial Management (NQF 7, 15 credits)
- Strategy (NQF 7, 12 credits)
- Work Integrated Learning (Business Management) (Part 1 and 2) (NQF 7, 20 credits)
Download our business managment major module descriptors here
Minimum Entrance Requirements:
- A National Senior Certificate or National Certificate (Vocational) with an achievement rating of 4 (Adequate achievement 50–59%) or better in four designated subjects (including Life Orientation), OR
- A Senior Certificate (pre-2008) with Endorsement with English passed at Standard Grade or better, or an equivalent school-leaving certificate OR
- A Higher Certificate (NQF Level 5), SAQA-verified equivalent qualification, Advanced Certificate or Diploma in a cognate field OR
- Applicants 24 years of age and older who do not meet the above requirements should provide a portfolio of evidence demonstrating formal, informal and non-formal knowledge, training, work experience and/or learning equivalent to an NQF Level 5 qualification to support admission to the programme on the basis of Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL).
See SACAP’s full Admissions Policy here
How can I apply?
You will need these docs
1. Application form
2. Certified copy of your ID
3. A Certified copy of your highest qualification
5. Proof of application fee of R300.00
Apply Online HERE
- Study options: On campus (Cape Town, Johannesburg, Pretoria, Durban) and Online Flexi
- Duration: 3 years full-time (Campus), or 5 years part-time (Online)
- Modules: 26
- Accreditation: NQF 7, CHE
- Work Integrated Learning: 200 hours, including mentoring
SACAP Fee Structure
Click here to see our fees