Why take this course
SACAP’s BAppSocSci Degree is considered to be our gold standard of social science qualifications. It provides an excellent foundation that allows you to articulate into many different qualifications or career pathways.
This comprehensive qualification, with dual majors in Psychology and Counselling, develops a robust theoretical and methodological understanding of the discipline of psychology embedded within the social sciences.
It’s a comprehensive and well-rounded undergraduate degree designed to build critical thinking and provide an overview of psychology and its subfields, complemented by practical skills and academic scholarship and incorporates essential, practical and real-world experience in counselling and interpersonal communication skills.
What you can expect
Throughout the qualification, you’ll develop critical thinking skills and gain a depth of understanding into:
- Psychology, mental health and people in a social context, including personality and developmental paradigms for understanding individual and group behaviour
- Psychological challenges and models for understanding behaviour and intervention.
- Diversity and cross-cultural dynamics in the South African context.
- Ethics when working within the broad field of psychology.
You will also develop:
- Oral, written and interpersonal communication skills, as well as the ability to present to diverse audiences.
- Skills to design, implement, monitor and evaluate psycho-educational and other community-based programmes.
- The ability to apply knowledge and skills in “real-world” settings through the practical Work Integrated Learning experience.
- Critical thinking skills to conceptualise, plan, analyse and interpret data, and report on research.
- Creative and innovative problem-solving skills.
Build an understanding of the individual within a sociocultural context.
Prepares you for admission into postgraduate levels of study.
Gain practical experience in real-world settings.
Who is this course for?
- Want an accredited qualification that is nationally benchmarked and internationally comparable.
- Have an interest in psychology, mental health, and people in the broader social context.
- Want a comprehensive undergraduate degree qualification in psychology that’s embedded in the social sciences.
- Want to develop integrated psychosocial support skills that you can use when working with individuals, groups and communities.
- Want a qualification that integrates theory, which is ethically applied to address a variety of mental health challenges and contribute to the wellbeing of people.
- Want to gain practical work integrated learning experience in diverse settings as part of your studies to boost your expertise and confidence.
- A National Senior Certificate or National Certificate (Vocational) with an achievement rating of 4 (Adequate Achievement 50-59%) or better in four designated subjects (including Life Orientation), OR
- A Senior Certificate (pre-2008) with Endorsement with English passed at Standard Grade or better, or an equivalent school-leaving certificate, OR
- A Higher Certificate (NQF level 5), SAQA verified equivalent qualification, Advanced Certificate, or Diploma in a cognate field, OR
- Applicants 24 years of age and older who do not meet the above requirements should provide a portfolio of evidence demonstrating formal, informal, and non-formal knowledge, training, work experience, and/or learning equivalent to an NQF level 5 qualification to support admission into the programme on the basis of Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL).
How can I apply?
It’s easy, you can apply online. You will also need these docs
1. Application form
2. Certified copy of your ID
3. A Certified copy of your highest qualification
4. Character reference letter
5. Proof of application fee of R300.00
Apply Online HERE
- Next intake: 3 Intakes per year
- Study options: On campus (Johannesburg, Pretoria, Durban & Cape Town) and Online
- Duration: 3 year full-time, 5 years part-time
- Modules: 26
- Accreditation: NQF 7, CHE
- Practicum: 200 hours including supervision