APPLICATIONS ARE CLOSED
Keep safe. Stay home. Start Term 1 Online
Given the rise in Covid-19 infections, SACAP will start Term 1 via our well-established Online campus in the Online Live study option. Once it’s safe to do so, you will be switched back to the campus you registered at.
Why take this course
Our Bachelor of Psychology Degree gives you the knowledge and essential practical skills for providing good quality psychological care to people at a primary mental health care level.
The focus is on ethical short-term supportive counselling, psycho-education and psychological assessment with the aim of protecting and promoting psychological wellbeing of individuals and families in the diverse communities of South Africa.
This degree provides a thorough grounding in the knowledge, theory and principles of the profession of Registered Counsellors and research capacity in the methodology and techniques of the psychology field.
Successful graduates will be eligible for admission into a master’s degree in psychology, the social sciences or related fields – both nationally and internationally.
What you can expect
You’ll get an introductory understanding of:
- Psychology, mental health and people within a social context, including personality and developmental paradigms for understanding individual and group behaviour.
- Psychological challenges and models for understanding behaviour and intervention.
- Diversity and cross-cultural dynamics in the South African context.
- How to conduct and report on psychometric assessments.
- To implement the values and principles of ethics in psychology in real-world contexts.
You will also develop:
- Counselling and interpersonal communication skills, including referral and management strategies in accordance with the HPCSA’s guidelines for good professional practice.
- Essential skills to protect and promote psychological well-being and the enhancement of personal functioning.
- Skills to design, implement, monitor and evaluate programmes with a focus on training individuals, families and communities to develop strong, collaborative and supportive partnerships within community contexts.
- Competence in applied planning and intervention within community settings, inclusive of psycho-education, health promotion, applied mental health intervention and community-based care.
- Real-world practical experience through the Practicum component of the programme.
- An aptitude in research design, implementation and evaluation.
- Competence in primary mental status screening and basic psychological assessment.
Leads to registration with the Health Professions Council of South Africa (HPCSA) as a Registered Counsellor.
A four-year professional degree that includes honours.
Positions you for admission into a master’s degree.
Who is this course for?
- Have an interest in social transformation and a concern for the mental health needs of people living in South Africa.
- Have a desire to provide accessible psychological services that address a range of psychosocial challenges in diverse community settings.
- Want to gain practical experience as part of your studies to increase your expertise and confidence for a career as a Registered Counsellor.
- Want the depth and breadth of an honours equivalent professional degree with a strong applied learning component.
- Want a qualification that will give you multiple academic pathways for master’s studies in clinical, counselling, educational or research psychology, the social sciences or related fields such as psychometry.
As a successful graduate, you will be eligible for admission into a master’s degree in psychology, the social sciences or related fields – both nationally and internationally. You will also be able to work in professional practice as a Registered Counsellor. This means that working together with multi-professional teams, you can:
- Provide short-term supportive counselling services to protect and promote psychological well-being.
- Perform psychological screening, primary mental status screening, basic assessment and referral and management strategies.
- Promote psychosocial health and community-based care with individuals, families and communities in diverse settings.
- Perform primary mental health interventions.
- Participate in the design, implementation, management, and evaluation of psychologically-based programmes that are appropriate for individuals or groups in community contexts.
- Participate in policy formulation based on various aspects of psychological theory and research.
Bachelor of Psychology (BPsych) modules
- Academic Literacy (NQF 5, 12 credits)
- Introduction to Psychology A (NQF 5, 12 credits)
- Introduction to Psychology B (NQF 5, 12 credits)
- Counselling Modalities 1 (NQF 5, 14 credits)
- Counselling Modalities 2 (NQF 5, 14 credits)
- Language and Communication Skills in isiXhosa (CPT) or isiZulu (JHB) (NQF 5, 14 credits)
- Fundamentals of a Helping Relationship (NQF 5, 14 credits)
- Diversity in the South African Context (NQF 5, 14 credits)
- Developmental Psychology A (NQF 5, 14 credits)
- Developmental Psychology B (NQF 6, 14 credits)
- Counselling Skills and Process Development (NQF 6, 14 credits)
- Introduction to Psychometric Assessment (NQF 6, 12 credits)
- Gender, Sexuality and HIV Counselling (NQF 6, 15 credits)
- Introduction to Community Development (NQF 6, 12 credits)
- Crisis and Trauma Counselling (NQF 6, 14 credits)
- Community Psychology (NQF 6, 14 credits)
- Statistics for the Social Sciences (NQF 6, 14 credits)
- Social Psychology (NQF 6, 14 credits)
- Needs Assessment in the South African Context (NQF 7, 14 credits)
- Psychopathology (NQF 7, 14 credits)
- Psychometric Assessment and Interpretation in Practice (NQF7, 14 credits)
- Theories of Personality (NQF 7, 14 credits)
- Comunity Mental Health: Policy and Planning (NQF 7, 12 credits)
- Group Work Skills (NQF 7, 14 credits)
- Applied Perspectives on Psychosocial and Mental Health Challenges in South Africa (NQF 7, 14 credits)
- Life Skills Planning and Psycho-educational Development (NQF 7, 12 credits)
- Practicum (NQF 8, 72 credits)
- Applied Research Methodology for the Registered Counsellor (NQF 8, 12 credits)
- Advanced Psychometric Assessment and Interpretation in Practice (NQF 8, 12 credits)
- Research Thesis (NQF 8, 30 credits)
Download our Bachelor of Psychology (BPsych) module descriptors here
- A National Senior Certificate or National Certificate (Vocational) with an achievement rating of 4 (Adequate Achievement 50-59%) or better in 6 designated subjects including Mathematics/Mathematical Literacy and English, OR
- Senior Certificate (Pre- 2008) with Endorsement, with English and Mathematics/Maths Literacy passed at Standard Grade or better, or an equivalent school-leaving certificate, OR
- A Higher Certificate (NQF level 5), a SAQA verified equivalent qualification, Advanced Certificate, or Diploma in a cognate field, OR
- Applicants 24 years of age and older who do not meet the above requirements should provide a portfolio of evidence demonstrating formal, informal, and non-formal knowledge, training, work experience, and/or learning equivalent to an NQF level 5 qualification to support admission into the programme on the basis of Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL).
Intake / selection process
- SACAP has a limited intake of 20 students per campus per year into this programme.
- Acceptance is subject to a stringent selection process that includes, inter alia: applicants meeting the minimum entrance requirements, completion of application forms, assessment of academic and non-academic aptitudes and competencies, interview with a panel and final selection interviews.
How can I apply?
It’s easy, you can apply online. You will also need these docs
- Application form
- Certified copy of ID
- Highest qualification
- 2 x Referee reports
- Application fee is R600.00
Apply Online HERE
- Next intake: 1 year
- Campus options: On Campus (Cape Town and Johannesburg)
- Duration: 4 years, full-time only
- Modules: 31
- Accreditations: NQF 8, CHE and HPCSA accredited
- Practicum: 720 hours over 12 months, including supervision
SACAP Fee Structure
Click here for 2021 fees