Why take this course
Structured with graduates who are working professionals in mind, this part-time, two-year diploma is a credit-bearing qualification at a NQF Level 8 (honours-equivalent) and is ideal for those wanting to become a conscious, competent and confident professional coach.
The Postgraduate Diploma in Coaching blends academic rigour with the development of strong applied practical skills. SACAP also adds our unique psychological lens to coaching as an Applied Psychology as we believe that in order to work effectively with others – one needs to understand and apply psychological principles.
What’s more, the qualification offers a solid theoretical grounding and a deep understanding of current coaching thinking, practice, ethics and research. Providing depth and mastery, the course will help you uncover your signature presence, create your own coaching model and implement a practitioner research project.
The Postgraduate Diploma in Coaching culminates in SACAP’s unique, supervised Client Coaching Internship, which enables you to confidently navigate the bridge into the working world of professional coaching. Even more significantly, SACAP offers you the opportunity to gain invaluable practical experience, positively impact people’s personal and professional lives, as well as sharpen and refine your coaching skills and signature presence before you even graduate.
The plan in place should the course start before lock-down ends
Unusual times call for agile thinking. SACAP has an existing Online campus, so if the lock-down is still in effect come June, this course will start on our digital platform and then continue on the campus you registered for when it’s responsible to do so.
Our virtual classroom runs pretty much the same as it would on campus: same class times, same classmates and the same educator. So when you do meet in person on campus – you’ll feel like you’re reuniting with old friends.
You also get ongoing support from your campus-specific face-to-face student administration and student services teams, so you will never feel lost or alone.
What you can expect
- Develop critical thinking for the purpose of building the comprehensive knowledge and capabilities of a professional practitioner coach.
- Explore and critically evaluate the application of theories principles and concepts from psychology and adult learning within the scope of practice as a coach.
- Learn a variety of robust coaching methods and models and how to apply them.
- Learn how to have in-depth conversations with coaching clients that empower them to shift perspectives, create possibilities, as well as plan and implement the changes they desire.
- Receive customised feedback and mentor coaching from an ICF credentialed coach towards the development of your own competencies as a professionally certified coach.
- Explore group and team coaching and examine how the richness of diversity can enhance coaching conversations.
- Learn about the importance of supervision and explore mental health, ethical boundaries for the scope of practice and indicators for referral.
- Develop your own unique signature presence and coaching approach
- Experience the dynamics in the working world of coaching through undertaking a supervised Client Coaching Internship.
- Develop practitioner research skills that equip you to contribute to the research foundations of the coaching industry.
- Personal and professional growth based on self-determined development paths that enhance your self-awareness and increase your self-mastery.
- Increased leadership qualities by virtue of who you will become as a coach.
- A heightened ability to activate resources as well as being in a healthy relationship with yourself and the surrounding world.
You will also develop
- Over the course of your diploma, you will get feedback about your demonstrated coaching skills and mentoring from International Coaching Federation (ICF) credentialed mentor coaches.
- The programme also includes a coaching competency performance exam and equips students as professional coach practitioners for multiple contexts such as Personal Coaching, Corporate Coaching and Executive Coaching.
Ideal for working post graduates.
Gain a deep understanding of current coaching thinking, practice and research.
Who is this course for?
- Want to explore what coaching is.
- Seek a future career as a professional coach practitioner or want to work as an internal coach within your organisation.
- Want to develop your competencies in this essential contemporary workplace skill in your position as an HR professional, leader or manager.
- Want to work as a professional coach practitioner who can unleash your potential to activate resources in helping others reach their potential.
- Have a natural curiosity about how psychology can be applied in effective coaching.
- Have an optimistic outlook and are able to identify positives and possibilities.
- Consider yourself to be an open-minded, self-directed learner who is courageous and willing to engage in self-exploration and work effectively with diverse perspectives and people.
- Seek depth and mastery in a coach training qualification.
- Want to credential as an International Coaching Federation (ICF) certified coach
- The Postgraduate Diploma in Coaching will provide you with the confidence and competence to embark on a career as a professional coach in independent practice or as part of an interdisciplinary team.
- The Postgraduate Diploma in Coaching will equip you as a professional coach practitioner for multiple contexts such as Personal Coaching, Corporate Coaching and Executive Coaching, to help individuals, organisations and society as a whole to achieve personal, professional and economic goals.
- Apply to ICF to credential as a Professional Certified Coach (PCC) and/or COMENSA to credential as a COMENSA credentialed Coach Practitioner (subject to also gaining the prerequisite coaching hours experience).
- A bachelor’s degree or a professional qualification.
- Ideally, 5 years of post-qualification life/work experience or alternatively a postgraduate qualification.
Intake / selection process
Applicants who meet the Minimum Entrance Requirements do not gain automatic acceptance into the Postgraduate Diploma in Coaching. Individuals must successfully undergo an interview and selection process.
How can I apply
It’s easy, you can apply online. You will also need these docs:
1. Application form
2. Certified copy of your ID
3. Certified Highest Qualification
4. Proof of Application fee of R300.00
Apply Online Here
- On campus (Cape Town & Johannesburg)
Coaching students benefit from the best of both worlds. Evening classes are held via Online Live and the 4-day Intensives are held in-person at the campus at which the student registered (i.e. Cape Town or Johannesburg campus).
- 2 years part-time
- 4 modules are completed via weekly evening classes held on a termly basis
- 4 modules are completed as intensives of 4 days each
- 6 month supervised Client Coaching Internship
- NQF 8, 129 credits
- Accredited by the Council on Higher Education (CHE)
- Qualification registered by South African Qualifications Authority (SAQA)
- SACAP is a registered Private Higher Education Institution with the Department of Higher Education and Training (DHET)
- Accredited by the International Coaching Federation (ICF) as an Accredited Coach Training (ACTP) Programme of 193 hours
- Recognised Accredited (SAQA) Training Provider with Coaching and Mentors of South Africa (COMENSA)
Programme vision and goals
SACAP’s Postgraduate Diploma in Coaching is a comprehensive qualification designed to rigorously equip professional coach practitioners for multiple contexts, such as Personal Coaching and Executive Coaching.
This part- time programme is designed for graduates, who are working professionals and who seek a deep understanding of current coaching thinking, practice and research. It is a credit bearing qualification at a NQF Level 8 for those who wish to become conscious, competent and confident professional coaches.
- Be able to journey with a client from beginning to end of a coaching engagement.
- Deepen your insight into how people think, feel and behave.
- Explore and critically evaluate the application of theories and concepts from psychology to be applied within the scope of practice of a coach
- Learn how to create a context that is conducive to engaging with others in a coaching manner.
- Learn how to cultivate your presence as a coach to develop others effectively.
- Increase your self-awareness and self-management.
- Develop and refine the coaching competencies of contracting, relationship building, coaching presence and effective communication as well as creating awareness, designing actions, planning & goal setting and managing process & accountability.
- Receive customised developmental feedback around your application of these coaching competencies from an ICF credentialed coach.
- Explore and critically evaluate the application of theories and concepts from adult learning in a coaching context.
- Learn two robust coaching models to apply with your coaching clients.
- Investigate models of change and their application within coaching.
- Explore ethical boundaries in depth for scope of practice as a professional coach.
- Explore how the richness of diversity can enhance the coaching conversations.
- Explore a variety of coaching models and engage with one that resonates with you.
- Engage in an in depth exploration of Self in relation to your coaching practice.
- Discover your signature presence so that you can develop your own unique coaching approach.
- Learn about practitioner research skills that equip graduates to contribute to the research foundations of the coaching industry.
- Implement, write up and evaluate a practitioner research project.
List of classes / parts / modules
- Applied Psychology in Coaching (14)
- Coaching Foundations, Relationship & Communication Skills (12)
- Applying Principles of Adult Learning & Change in Coaching (14)
- Facilitating Learning & Results in Coaching (12)
- Ethics, Values & Diversity in Coaching (14)
- Coaching Models, Methods & Tools (14)
- Building your Coaching Model (14)
- Practitioner Research Methods in Coaching (10)
- Client Coaching Internship (15)
- Coaching Practitioner Research Paper (10)
See provisional timetable here
List of lead instructors
Policies on payment of tuitions and fees
Policies on withdrawals and refunds
SACAP Fee Structure
Click here to view our 2021 fees