Postgraduate Diploma in Coaching
SACAP’s Postgraduate Diploma in Coaching is a comprehensive NQF 8 (Honours-equivalent) level qualification designed to equip professional coach practitioners. We bring our unique psychological lens to coaching as an applied psychology as we believe that in order to work effectively with others, one needs to understand and apply psychological principles.
Designed for working professionals, this part-time, two-year, qualification blends academic rigour with the development of strong applied practical skills. The Postgraduate Diploma in Coaching offers a solid theoretical grounding and a deep understanding of current coaching thinking, practice, ethics and research. Providing depth and mastery, it assists you to uncover your signature presence, create your own coaching model and implement a practitioner research project. You will receive customised feedback about your demonstrated coaching skills and mentoring from International Coach Federation (ICF) credentialed mentor coaches. The programme also includes a coaching competency performance exam and equips students as professional coach practitioners for multiple contexts such as Personal Coaching, Corporate Coaching and Executive Coaching.
The qualification culminates in SACAP’s unique, supervised Client Coaching Internship, which enables you to confidently navigate the bridge into the working world of professional coaching. Significantly, SACAP offers you the opportunity to gain invaluable practical experience, positively impact people’s personal and professional lives, as well as sharpen and refine your coaching skills and signature presence before you even graduate.
At a Glance
|Availability||On campus (Johannesburg and Cape Town).|
|Duration||Two years part-time.|
|Intakes||1 Intake per year|
|Modules and Credits||8 modules.
3 modules are completed via weekly evening classes held on a termly basis.
5 modules are completed as intensives of 4 days each.
6 month supervised Client Coaching Internship.
|Accreditations||NQF 8, 129 credits.
Accredited by the Council on Higher Education. Qualification registered by SAQA.
SACAP is a registered Private Higher Education Institution with the Department of Higher Education and Training.
Accredited by the International Coaching Federation (ICF) as an Accredited Coach Training (ACTP) Programme of 235 hours.
Recognised Accredited (SAQA) Training Provider with COMENSA.
Is this course for me?
If you say yes to any of the following points, then SACAP’s Postgraduate Diploma in Coaching could be the perfect fit for you.
- Want to work as a professional coach practitioner who can unleash your potential to activate resources in helping others reach their potential.
- Want to credential as an International Coach Federation (ICF) certifed coach.
- Have a natural curiosity about how psychology can be applied in effective coaching.
- Have an optimistic outlook and are able to identify positives and possibilities.
- Consider yourself to be an open-minded, self-directed learner who is courageous and willing to engage in self-exploration and work effectively with diverse perspectives and people.
- Seek depth and mastery in a coach training qualification.
- Want to study part-time while working full-time.
What will I learn?
Throughout the Postgraduate Diploma in Coaching, you will:
- Develop critical thinking for the purpose of building the comprehensive knowledge and capabilities of a professional practitioner coach.
- Explore and critically evaluate the application of theories principles and concepts from psychology and adult learning within the scope of practice as a coach.
- Learn a variety of robust coaching methods and models and how to apply them.
- Learn how to have in-depth conversations with coaching clients that empower them to shift perspectives, create possibilities, as well as plan and implement the changes they desire.
- Receive customised feedback and mentor coaching from an ICF credentialed coach towards the development of your own competencies as a professionally certified coach.
- Explore Group and Team Coaching and examine how the richness of diversity can enhance coaching conversations.
- Learn about the importance of supervision and explore mental health, ethical boundaries for scope of practice and indicators for referral.
- Develop your own unique signature presence and coaching approach
- Experience the dynamics in the working world of coaching through undertaking a supervised Client Coaching Internship.
- Develop practitioner research skills that equip you to contribute to the research foundations of the coaching industry.
You will also experience:
- Personal and professional growth based on self-determined development paths that enhance your self-awareness and increase your self-mastery.
- Increased leadership qualities by virtue of who you will become as a coach.
- A heightened ability to activate resources as well as be in a healthy relationship with yourself and the surrounding world.
What can I do with this qualification?
- The Postgraduate Diploma in Coaching will provide you with the confidence and competence to embark on a career as a professional coach in independent practice or as part of an interdisciplinary team.
- The Postgraduate Diploma in Coaching will equip you as a professional coach practitioner for multiple contexts such as Personal Coaching, Corporate Coaching and Executive Coaching, to help individuals, organisations and society as a whole to achieve personal, professional and economic goals.
- The Postgraduate Diploma in Coaching is accredited by the International Coach Federation (ICF) as an Accredited Coach Training (ACTP) Programme.
- Graduates of the programme will have met all of the training and experience requirements for application to credential with the ICF as an Associate Certified Coach (ACC) and, subject to completion of further coaching hours experience, application to credential with the ICF as a Professional Certified Coach (PCC).
- The qualification is also approved and aligned with COMENSA coach training requirements.
- A Bachelors degree or a professional qualification.
- Ideally, five years of post-qualification life/work experience or alternatively a postgraduate qualification.
Applicants who meet the Minimum Entrance Requirements do not gain automatic acceptance into the Postgraduate Diploma in Coaching. Individuals must successfully undergo an interview and selection process.