Why take this course?
Unique to SACAP, the Higher Certificate of Counselling and Communication Skills is a vocational qualification specifically designed to provide you with a well-rounded introduction to the field in addition to academic literacy skills.
The Higher Certificate is a one-year, skills-based qualification at an NQF level 5 and is an excellent place to start if you have a job in a related field and want to sharpen your interpersonal skills. It is also a strong choice if you are interested in exploring human behaviour but are not yet ready to dive into the commitment of a degree. That said, as a graduate of the Higher Certificate, you will be well-positioned to study further within the social sciences and be eligible to apply to SACAP’s Bachelor of Applied Social Science with the potential for credit transfer for a selection of modules within the first year of that programme.
Given the online nature of the Higher Certificate, you also benefit from the flexibility to meet weekly milestones working at a pace that is best for you with ongoing educator and facilitator support.
What you can expect
During this course, you can expect to:
- Develop fundamental counselling and interpersonal communication skills.
- Acquire basic academic literacy skills.
- Develop your ability to understand and work with diversity and diverse populations.
An excellent entry point into higher education.
A vocational qualification that is skills-based.
Maximum of 25 students per class.
An educator-led learning journey.
Who is this course for?
- Have an interest in communicating and working with people.
- Want to develop basic counselling and communication skills that can be applied in various personal and work-related settings.
- Already work in a people-orientated setting and want to develop your interpersonal skills further.
- Want to develop the academic skills necessary for succeeding in higher education?
The Higher Certificate in Counselling and Communication Skills equips you with valuable skills that can be applied in various fields, providing a versatile foundation for your career journey that:
- Will improve your interpersonal communication skills in your existing field of work in a people-orientated setting.
- Will provide a pathway into SACAP’s Bachelor of Applied Social Science degree, with the potential for credit transfer for a selection of modules within the first year of that programme.
Inside the classroom
- This qualification adopts an educator-led approach to learning where the teacher actively imparts knowledge and guides students through concepts and principles covered in the course material.
- Assessments and assignments are reviewed by the educator with personalised feedback.
- Enjoy direct educator access and ongoing support from your educator, facilitator and peers.
- The class size is limited to 25 students to promote a deeper understanding of the material and to stimulate an interactive and collaborative learning environment.
- The learning materials include custom-made video content, academic readings and textbooks.
- Weekly schedule: Materials are released on a Monday morning and students follow structured learning activities including lectures, discussions, presentations, group work, role plays and ad-hoc live webinars, among others.
Higher Certificate in Counselling and Communication Skills modules
- Writing for Success (NQF 5, 12 credits)
- Introduction to Basic Counselling Skills (NQF 5, 14 credits)
- Effective Communication Skills (NQF 5, 14 credits)
- Developing Enhanced Counselling Skills (NQF 5, 14 credits)
- Understanding Human Behaviour (NQF 5, 14 credits)
- Digital Literacies for the 21st Century (NQF 5, 12 credits)
- Diversity in the South African Context (NQF 5, 14 credits)
- The Skilled Communicator (NQF 5, 14 credits)
- Numerical Literacy (NQF 5, 12 credits)
British Accreditation Council (BAC)
SACAP is fully accredited by the British Accreditation Council (BAC) as an Independent Higher Education Institution
The BAC accreditation is a globally recognised hallmark of quality assurance, and achieving this accreditation demonstrates that we have met the high standards set by the BAC. This accreditation is validation of our commitment to excellence and our mission to provide our students with a world-class education that prepares them for success in their future careers.
Our students can be assured that their education provider has met a gold standard. To maintain BAC accreditation SACAP needs to continue to meet BAC’s standards. BAC ensure that colleges, universities and training providers provide high quality education and a great learning experience for students.
Minimum Entrance Requirements:
- A National Senior Certificate with a minimum of 45% in English as certified by the Council for General and Further Education and Training (Umalusi) OR
- A National Certificate (Vocational) Level 4 with a minimum of 45% in English issued by the Council for General and Further Education and Training (Umalusi) OR
- A Senior Certificate (pre-2008) with a minimum overall D-aggregate (50%) with a minimum of 45% in English, or an equivalent school leaving certificate
See SACAP’s full Admissions Policy here
How can I apply?
You will need these docs:
1. Application form
2. Certified copy of your ID
3. A Certified copy of your highest qualification
5. Proof of application fee of R300.00
Apply Online HERE
- Duration: 1 year full-time, 2 years part-time
- Modules: 9
- Accreditation: NQF 5, CHE accredited
SACAP Fee Structure
Click here to see our fees