Why take this course?
It’s a good place to start if you’re interested in human behaviour but are not yet ready to dive into a degree – or you have a job in a related field and want to sharpen your interpersonal skills.
The Higher Certificate is a one-year, NQF level 5 qualification that provides an introduction to counselling, communications and academic literacy skills.
As a graduate, you can apply your skills in the workplace and are well positioned to study further within the social sciences. You will also be eligible to apply for SACAP’s Bachelor of Applied Social Science with the potential for credit transfer for a selection of modules within the first year of that programme.
What you can expect
You’ll get an introductory understanding of:
- Basic counselling and interpersonal communication skills.
- Basic academic literacy skills and introduction into working with diversity.
You will also develop:
- Basic counselling and interpersonal communication skills including referral strategies.
- Basic research and study skills.
An excellent entry point into higher education with an emphasis on counselling and communication skills.
A vocational qualification that is skills-based.
Who is this course for?
- Have an interest in communicating and working with people.
- Want to develop basic counselling and communication skills that can be applied in a variety of personal and work-related settings.
- Already work in a people-orientated setting and want to develop your interpersonal skills further.Want to develop the academic skills necessary for succeeding in higher education.
- A National Senior Certificate or National Certificate (Vocational) with a minimum of 45% in English, or equivalent school-leaving qualification, OR
- A Senior Certificate (pre-2008) with a minimum overall D-aggregate (50%) with a minimum of 45% in English, or an equivalent school leaving certificate.
- Applicants 24 years of age and older who do not meet the above requirements should provide a portfolio of evidence demonstrating formal, informal, and non-formal knowledge, training, work experience, and/or learning equivalent to a National Senior Certificate (NQF level 4) to support admission into the programme on the basis of Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL).
How can I apply?
It’s easy, you can apply online. You will also need these docs:
1. Application form
2. Certified copy of your ID
3. A Certified copy of your highest qualification
4. Character reference letter
5. Proof of application fee of R300.00
Apply Online HERE
- Next intake: 3 Intakes per year
- Study options: On campus (Cape Town and Johannesburg)
- Duration: 1 year full-time, 2 years part-time
- Modules: 9
- Accreditation: NQF 5, CHE accredited