Why take this course?
It’s a good place to start if you’re interested in human behaviour but are not yet ready to dive into a degree – or you have a job in a related field and want to sharpen your interpersonal skills.
The Higher Certificate is a one-year, NQF level 5 qualification that provides an introduction to counselling, communications and academic literacy skills.
As a graduate, you can apply your skills in the workplace and are well positioned to study further within the social sciences. You will also be eligible to apply for SACAP’s Bachelor of Applied Social Science with the potential for credit transfer for a selection of modules within the first year of that programme.
The plan in place should the course start before lock-down ends
Unusual times call for agile thinking. SACAP has an existing Online campus, so if the lock-down is still in effect come June, this course will start on our digital platform and then continue on the campus you registered for when it’s responsible to do so.
Our virtual classroom runs pretty much the same as it would on campus: same class times, same classmates and the same educator. So when you do meet in person on campus – you’ll feel like you’re reuniting with old friends.
To make things even easier, SACAP will supply you with a portable router if you need one, plus 10G of data to help you with online learning data costs (this does not apply to students registered to study Coaching or to the Online campus). You also get ongoing support from your campus-specific face-to-face student administration and student services teams so you will never feel lost or alone.
What you can expect
You’ll get an introductory understanding of:
- Basic counselling and interpersonal communication skills.
- Basic academic literacy skills and introduction into working with diversity.
You will also develop:
- Basic counselling and interpersonal communication skills including referral strategies.
- Basic research and study skills.
An excellent entry point into higher education with an emphasis on counselling and communication skills.
A vocational qualification that is skills-based.
Who is this course for?
- Have an interest in communicating and working with people.
- Want to develop basic counselling and communication skills that can be applied in a variety of personal and work-related settings.
- Already work in a people-orientated setting and want to develop your interpersonal skills further.Want to develop the academic skills necessary for succeeding in higher education.
Where can I study this course?
You can study this course at our Cape Town, Durban, Johannesburg and Pretoria campuses – or on our well-established Online Campus.
Higher Certificate in Counselling and Communication Skills modules
- Writing for Success (NQF 5, 12 credits)
- Introduction to Basic Counselling Skills (NQF 5, 14 credits)
- Effective Communication Skills (NQF 5, 14 credits)
- Developing Enhanced Counselling Skills (NQF 5, 14 credits)
- Understanding Human Behaviour (NQF 5, 14 credits)
- Digital Literacies for the 21st Century (NQF 5, 12 credits)
- Diversity in the South African Context (NQF 5, 14 credits)
- The Skilled Communicator (NQF 5, 14 credits)
- Numerical Literacy (NQF 5, 12 credits)
Download our Higher Certificate module descriptors here
- A National Senior Certificate or National Certificate (Vocational) with a minimum of 45% in English, or equivalent school-leaving qualification, OR
- A Senior Certificate (pre-2008) with a minimum overall D-aggregate (50%) with a minimum of 45% in English, or an equivalent school leaving certificate.
- Applicants 24 years of age and older who do not meet the above requirements should provide a portfolio of evidence demonstrating formal, informal, and non-formal knowledge, training, work experience, and/or learning equivalent to a National Senior Certificate (NQF level 4) to support admission into the programme on the basis of Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL).
How can I apply?
It’s easy, you can apply online. You will also need these docs:
1. Application form
2. Certified copy of your ID
3. A Certified copy of your highest qualification
4. Character reference letter
5. Proof of application fee of R300.00
Apply Online HERE
- Next intake: 3 Intakes per year
- Study options: On campus (Cape Town, Johannesburg, Durban, Pretoria) and Online
- Duration: 1 year full-time, 2 years part-time
- Modules: 9
- Accreditation: NQF 5, CHE accredited
SACAP 2020 Fee Structure
Click here to view our 2020 fees